17 August 2016

Houston Museum of Fine Arts

I've been dying to visit the Houston Museum of Fine Arts the moment I arrived Texas. There was a special exhibit by Yayoi Kusama that day and I really really wanted to see it. Unfortunately, the tickets were sold out so all I was able to see were a few sculptures she had.


There was a really long line when my grammy and I got there. It was probably 15 dollars for the entrance. Not bad. Not bad.





by Kusama


The place was very bright. For an art museum, I didn't expect so much light coming from every direction. Normally, Museums are dim with just enough light to give emphasis to the pieces. Butt HMFA was just damn bright.


They had this pink installation (above) that actually acted as a bridge from one building to the other. There were security guards in the middle to warn the guests not to step off the bridge or else the installation would get ruined. It was actually pretty trippy if you'd ask me.


Despite the majesty that is the museum, can we please talk about their cafe? Their desserts were unbelievably divine! 


I had 3 of these.




Last one standing.


Oh my and their lasagna? Heavenly.


The Gift Store had so many wonderful items and books that you would think it were another exhibit.


Poseidon


Nero


The sculptures and statues were breathtaking. The lighting was on point too. My photos don't actually do them any justice.


Stranded Ship on East Hampton Beach 1894-95
Oil on Canvas
30" x 60"
Thomas Moran




This is arguably the most detailed painting I have ever seen. Can you imagine how tiny those people are? The whole painting is just 30 finches by 60 inches. 

BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW TINY THE SEAGULL IS.


Portrait of a Woman
Pablo fucking Picasso

Yep. I can die now.


The Japanese Footbridge at Giverny
1920-1922
90cm x 1.16m
Claude Monet

*I've only seen this in my art books back in college*


The Windmill, Amsterdam
1874
Claude Monet


The Gust of Wind
1865
Gustave Courbet

Another favorite of mine. The photo really doesn't do the painting any justice; neither did the museum's lighting. SMH.


THE ANDY WARHOL SELF PORTRAIT


LOOK AT EM DOTS


LOOK AT DAT SKILL

I ALMOST DIED AT THIS MUSEUM. EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT.


Ninang Apple and Tito Jojo picked us up from the museum and we decided to have and early dinner around the area.


Matchy matchy!


Cute little Lucas


We ended the night by dropping by Trader Joe's. I bought 4 packs of Quinoa and 5 jars of Speculoos cookie butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...